Comprehensive Building Permit Report

Our permit report shows all existing building permits and other construction documents issued for a particular property.

  • We search and obtain copies of available building permits from various local government agencies.

  • The report consists of building permits, certificates of occupancy and other property-related documents.

  • You receive a single, comprehensive building permit report.

What does the building permit report provide?

The Permit Report will not interpret the actual permits or other information contained on the report.; we simply provide an easy means of obtaining public documents. However, we are commited to customer service, and thus are available to answer questions based on the searching and pulling of the permits on a specific property.

Why is a building permit report needed?

The Permit Report informs you about the permits associated to the property you currently own or are planning to purchase.

  • To assist all parties in fulfilling their obligations as reguired on the Transfer Disclosure Statement.
  • To provide parties with available permit records for construction work done to the subject property.
  • To help protect parties from future expenses caused by un-permitted work or work not built to code.

How long does it take?

  • City of Los Angeles: 2-3 business days
  • West Hollywood: 5-15 business days
  • Beverly Hills: 5-15 business days
  • Other cities (LA County): 4-5 business days
  • Orange County: 2-5 business days
  • Ventura County: 3-5 business days

How much does it cost?

All charges below are per Assessor's Parcel Number

Residential Permit Report (building permit and certificate of occupancies only) $59

Additional Research:

  • Sewer Research: $10
  • Zoning Research: $10
  • Geo/Soils Research: $35
  • Open Violation Research: $35

Commercial Permit Report (building permit and certificate of occupancies only) $79

Additional Research:

  • Sewer Research: $10
  • Zoning Research: $10
  • Geo/Soils Research: $352
  • Open Violation Research: $35
  • Sewer Report Only: $30
  • Zoning Report Only: $30
  • Geo/Soils Report Only: $35

Miscellaneous Document Retrieval

Any copies of public records including but not limited to:

  • Parking Affidavits
  • Rebuild Letters
  • Lot Line Adjustments
  • Board Files
  • Commission Files

All reports include up to 20 pages of permit documentation, $1 per page thereafter.

1. Additional research options can be added residential or commercial permit reports (please note these options are only available for properties in City of Los Angeles).

2. Be advised that geology, soils, and or engineering reports are typical between 50- pages.

Comprehensive Report

The Permit Report was created out of the growing need to have a standardized way of providing real estate buyers, sellers, and agents information about construction and/or remodeling permits associated with real estate property. We have found that there has been an increasing number of lawsuits against agents and sellers who do not provide permit information on their properties. We are committed to providing fast, accurate permit reports, as well as great customer service.

The Permit Report takes the place of the traditional permit search. A permit search is done to find available permits and documents created during the course of construction or additional work that may have been done after the initial construction. Most permit searches are done at a local municipality.

A permit search can only recover permits and documents available at the applicable public agency. The Permit Report's search may provide incomplete or ambiguous results due to the age of the home, differences in how the jurisdiction maintains and files permit and construction information. Permits can be lost, misplaced, or even disgarded. With these potential limitations in mind, the Permit Report provides all building permits, mechanical permits, electrical permits, plumbing permits, and certificates of occupancy documents our search obtains for the subject home. This information can supplement the information provided to you by a home inspector, the seller, real estate agent and your own experience.

Permit Definitions

Certificate of Occupancy
A Certificate of Occupancy is issued pursuant to a building permit for new construction, additions, and changes of occupancy after all the necessary construction has been approved by the inspector. It is evidence that the Department of Building and Safety has determined that the construction was done according to the requirements of the code for the given occupancy to be housed in the building. Not all construction work receives a C of O, only when square footage is being added. For new construction, the C of O is automatically issued following the final inspection. For older construction, a C of O may not be on file and would require special attention (
Application for Permit
To obtain a permit, the applicant shall file an application on forms furnished by the Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety. Once the Department of Building and Safety determines that the information on the application meets its requirements, the Department issues a permit.
Building Permit
A permit is required to build, remodel, repair, demolish, remove or move any building or structure. A separate permit is required for each separate building or structure. Examples of work that requires a permit: roofing, stucco, window, and door change-out, drywall replacement, installation of security bars, fire damage repairs, chimney repairs, and anchor bolting/bracing foundation (Los Angeles Municipal Code Section 91.106).
Plumbing Permit*
A plumbing permit is required to add, alter, construct, install, move, relocate, remove, reconstruct, repair, or replace any plumbing, rainwater piping, subsurface drainage piping, swimming pool piping, reclaimed, water piping, or greywater piping. A permit shall be required where the Department has determined that the gas piping shall be retested for the following:
The system has been out of service for a period of one year
Where the Department had determined there is system leakage creating an immediate hazard to persons or property (Los Angeles Municipal Code Section 94.103.1).
Electrical Permit*
An electrical permit is required for electrical wiring. No person shall install, alter, reconstruct or repair any electrical wiring unless a permit has been obtained from the Department except as provided by your local city code (Los Angeles Municipal Code Section 93.0201).
Mechanical (HVAC) Permit*
An HVAC permit is required to install, alter, repair, relocate, replace or add any heating, ventilating, or air-conditioning equipment. A permit shall be obtained for all heating, ventilating, air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment or other miscellaneous heat-producing appliances moved with, or installed in, a relocated building in the City (Los Angeles Municipal Code Section 95.0112).
Sewer Permit
Sewer Permits are issued to private individuals or contractors to connect to an existing house connection sewer or to facilitate the construction of a house connection sewer.
There are two types of sewer connection:
  1. Property Line Connection: (requires Building & Safety inspection)
    This may be a new connection or reconnection to a house connection sewer located at the property line.
  2. Main Line Connection: (requires Public Works inspection)
    This type of connection is required when the house connection sewer extending to the property line does not exist. To extend a sewer line from the property line to the City's main sewer, a bonded sewer contractor must perform the work (Los Angeles City - Department of Public Works - Bureau of Engineering).
Grading Permit
A grading permit is required to import or export any earth material to or from any grading site. A grading permit is also required to perform any grading within areas within areas designated "hillside" (Los Angeles Municipal Code Section 91.106).
Plot Plan
A plot plan is a scale drawing of your property that shows the size and configuration of your property and the size and location of manmade features (building, driveways, and sidewalks) on the property. Plot plans show what currently exists on your property as well as physical changes you wish to make.
Parcel Profile Report
A report that displays the zoning information for most parcels within the City of Los Angeles that can be identified by address or property tax bill number.
Range Files
Any violations/order to comply on a property. Violations within the last 12 months will not be on file.
Geology/Soils Report
Reports approved by the Grading Department

*Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical Permits are only available from 1985-1990 and 1997 to present


Q: What permits may be contained in The Permit Report?
  • Building Permits
  • Certificates of Occupancy
  • Mechanical Permits
  • Electrical Permits
  • Plumbing Permits
  • Grading Certificates and Permits
  • Open Violations of Record
Q: How long does it take to receive a completed report?
A: The length of time depends on the local municipality in which the subject property is located. Most orders for properties located within the City of Los Angeles will be completed and delivered within 2 to 4 business days. Most orders for properties located outside the City of Los Angeles will be completed and delivered within 2 to 5 business days, however we can not guarantee the exact time of delivery. Please refer to our Coverage Area page for more information.
Q: What cities/counties can I order reports in?
A: Please reference our Coverage Area page for this information.
Q: How do I receive the finished report?
A: You will receive an email notification from our system letting you know when your report is ready to be viewed (please check your junk mail box for this email). The email will contain a link to your report. This link will be good for 30 days. In addition, you can log into your account using your email address and password and click on Your Reports to view all of your current and past reports.
Q: How do I cancel an order that has already been placed?
A: In order to cancel your Permit Report, your report must not yet have been completed and uploaded to our system, and it must been less than 24 hours from the time you ordered your report. If the prior to instances are true, then you can cancel your order by calling our office at .607.0544 (during work hours) or by emailing us at Please make sure to include the subject property address in this email.
Q: Is a Permit Report required for the close or escrow/selling of property?
A: As is it not required to order a Permit Report to close escrow, it is required that the seller and agent disclose to the buyer everything on the subject property that has been built to code and has been legally permitted.
Q: Are rush requests available?
A: Yes, for properties located in the City of Los Angeles, we will honor request for rush service for an additional $30 fee. If you have a rush request, please check on the Rush Request option box on the order page. Reports will be delivered within 24 hours of placing rush request.
Q: What additional services/reports do you offer?
A: The Permit Report offers the following additional services when ordering either a Residential or Commercial Report: Zoning Report, Geo/Soils Report, Sewer Report, and Open Violations of Record(s) Search

About Us

We assist developers, contractors, architects and homeowners to prepare, apply for, and obtain building and other types of permits in Southern California.

Contact Us


150 S Glenoaks Blvd #9317
Burbank, CA 91502


Monday-Friday 9am-5pm PST


(888) 610-1080
(818) 459-3839


Visit the California Permits page on Google+